Saturday 26 January 2013

Annual 21-day Cleanse

My most recent approach is not working. Not at all. I'm not sure why, but it's just not right for me. I crave the light, energetic, easy feeling that I had when I did the Garden Diet programs last year. I've decided to do the 21-day cleanse again, starting today, as a way of rejuvenating myself and getting back on track.

A couple of things are inspiring me at the moment. One is my sister-in-law. She recently did a 6-day 'lean and clean' program by James Duigan. I briefly considered doing it as well. She talks about feeling light, clean, and alive: 'I felt like I was dead before, now I don't think I'll ever stop eating this way.' It was really hard for her to do the program - she felt hungry and uncomfortable and craved fruit and coffee - but she persevered and she looks and feels amazing as a result. I have the book as well and gave it some serious consideration after her spectacular results. But the 'Clean and Lean' approach isn't at all for me. Seriously, meat at every single meal and snack. Meat meat meat meat meat. I gag just thinking about it. I believe that difrerent approaches work for everyone. My sister-in-law doesn't digest raw food well, particularly salads, whereas I feel great with raw food and unwell if I eat meat! So I don't think that what works for her would be particularly good for me.  What inspires me, though, is her determination to stick it out and make it through the 6 hard days in exchange for feeling wonderful at the end. She is really amazingly focused. I'll be drawing strength from her example when the 21-day prorgam gets tough for me!

I'm also inspired by this article. I've been avoiding discomfort with eveything I've got for a long time now! Which is crazy, since the things that have given me the most joy in my life - cycling, climbing, having children - have been distinctly uncomfortable! I'm drawing incredible inspiration from the reminder that embracing discomfort leads to amazing rewards.

So today is Day 1 of the Garden Diet 21-day program for me. I've had my breakfast juice - I had orange and grapefruit instead of just orange juice. It was fantastic and, just as I remembered from last time I did the cleanse, it filled me up completely. I've got some Sun Tea brewing and I'm looking forward to the adventure ahead - discomfort and all!

Today's happiness exercise is focused on bulding awareness with all of our senses. It's a great practice and today I'll be focusing it on my children - really focusing on them with every sense. They are such a delight!

No comments:

Post a Comment