Saturday 11 February 2012

Days 18, 19 and 20

Over the last few days my raw diet has felt really 'settled in' and I'm starting to feel quite independant from the transition-to-raw program. There's still the rest of this week and next week to go, and there are heaps of new and delicious-looking recipes, but I'm deviating from the menu a lot and designing my own meals. Most of my meals are quite simple at the moment - a salad with leafy greens, avocado and tomato, or an OJ smoothie, or fruit, and I'm eating far fewer nuts than I was when I began the raw programs. I'll definitely try all the recipes in the program at some stage, but I've been really busy these past few days and it's been easiest just to grab fruit or make a simple salad when I'm in a rush, rather than make an unfamiliar recipe. One I do have to mention, though, is the avocado and kiwi salad. Simply devine, and my 4 year old and 6 month old both loved it too!

My health has been a bit sub-par these past few days, with mild headaches, a sore throat and tiredness. It seems like a detox reaction to me, so I'm just rolling with it for now and hoping that soon I'll feel great again. It's meant that I haven't done any exercise, and today when the opportunity arose I had a sleep instead!

I think that sleep is the next part of my lifestyle to address. I really don't sleep enough. By the time the children are asleep it's usually already 10pm, then my husband and I both really need some time together, so it can be midnight before we go to bed. Well, I've always preferred to go to bed at 10 myself, so I'm planning to try and get to bed by 10 each night and get up at 6am. That would give me time for some yoga first thing in the morning, and fit in with my 'body clock' much better than my current pattern. I tend to get quite 'snacky' at night and continually wander into the kitchen for dates or fruit. I'm sure this is because I'm trying to get energy to stay awake, and the staying up late messes with my body's hungry/full chemistry, and I'd really like to lose more weight and get off the plateau that I feel I've been on for a couple of weeks. An earlier bed time will keep me out of the kitchen at night!

Another thing I'll be doing to get off that plateau is a green smoothie cleanse. It's not part of the program but I'm burning to do it in the same way that I was burning to do the raw programs before I started. I'm starting tomorrow, and I'll do a 5 day green smoothie and raw green soup cleanse and then ease back into eating non-blended foods. I don't even really know why I'm doing it, because I'm sure I could lose more weight and still eat solid foods, but my body is craving green smoothies and I'm going to listen to what it is telling me! It's great to feel this fired up about something so good for me.

I smelled a lolly today - someone opened a bag of jelly snakes near me - and all I smelled was offensive chemicals. I can't believe I used to eat those and think they were a yummy treat! This diet has helped me easily give up a few things I have tried to give up eating many times, previously without complete success: chocolate, lollies, cakes, biscuits, hot chocolate, soy products, cheese, wheat products. A pretty impressive list I reckon!

I haven't been doing the program's happiness exercies these psat few days, instead I've been really involved in directing my own thoughts and meditations. I've been noticing, and amazed by, the extremely close relationship between my attention and my children's behaviour. When I focus all my atention on them, gee they behave well. I know that; a well known parenting fact, but I'm really aware now of the extent to which it is true. Not that I usually ignore the kids (!!), but increasing the intensity of my focus upon them is really rewarding for all of us. My son has been particularly affectionate and loving lately, which is a gratifying reward for my increased awareness!

No comments:

Post a Comment