Sunday 8 January 2012

Day 7

Today has been the most challenging day on this cleanse so far when it comes to cravings. Partly because the novelty of being on the cleanse is wearing off, partly because I haven't had lots of strong cravings yet so I've dropped my guard a bit, but mostly because we are staying at my parents' house today and I am surrounded  by temptation! A million chocolates everywhere I look! Textured grainy bread, hommus, cheese! I haven't really craved cheese since I became vegan two years ago, but today, gosh, it called me. Lasagne... picked gerkhins... I was tempted everywhere I turned. I haven;t cheated and I'm determined not to. I've drawn a line and I won't cross it. Jinjee talks about a 'seal' on one's diet, but for me the visualisation that worked really well is a line in the sand as powerful as it is metaphoric.

Today's menu was a light one, in preparation for the deep cleansing week coming up. Seriously, there will be a water fasting day. I am a little nervous about that, to be sure, but also curious and a little bit excited to have such a new experience. The cleanse so far has been managed well and I trust that the lead in and out of the water fast will make it doable for me. Actually today I forgot to have breakfast  I was busy and didn't realise I hadn't eaten anything until I got hungry at 11:30! Lunch was a delicious gazpacho and dinner was a salad. I'm a lucky girl since salad has always been a favourite meal of mine.

My exercise session today was a real highlight - I am a cyclist again! It has been so long since I trained on my bike that I was starting to think of myself as a former cyclist. I love it so much and this morning I got on my bike on the rollers and loved it! Even just getting dressed in my cycling gear was a thrill. I only rode for 15 minutes, but I was exhausted after that since I've only ever ridden rollers a couple of times many years ago. I am a total beginner and they are hard to ride! I put the bike into a really hard gear because rollers are easier when you've got something to push against, so after that 15 minutes I was pouring with sweat and my legs were shaking. Never mind, it was great fun and exhilarating and enough of a confidence-boost that I know I can get on tomorrow and have a longer and better session.

Today's happiness exercise asked us to reflect upon 'What is your life trying to teach you?' Another thought-provoking exercise. At the moment I feel that I'm learning what is important to me (minimising suffering and maximising love and support in every context). I'm learning to simplify, to become less materialistic and more global and long-term in my priorities.

I am still glad I'm on this cleanse and very glad I haven't cheated, but gee I'm glad today is over and tomorrow is a new beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment