Sunday 29 January 2012

Days 6 and 7

Wow, I feel smashed. Yesterday I was back at work after 6 months off and talk about a huge day! I photographed a wedding. I was there until the bridal waltz and it was a wonderful but massive day. I'm exhausted!

Eating raw food during a wedding shoot was something I really had to plan for. Usually when I'm working I eat lunch in the car on the way to the wedding - generally a sandwich I've brought from home, and maybe some fruit. Then I have a huge day shooting, during which I snack on dried fruit, and on the way home I grab a wrap from subway, and a coffee and a little cake or a cookie. Yesterday I was staying at the wedding over dinner time, so I made some raw meals to take with me. I'd had orange juice for breakfast, and that kept me really full until lunch, which was meant to be raw tacos. Instead of making them as tacos (which would have been messy - I didn't want to turn up at a wedding with avocado all over me!) I made the taco ingredients into a salad. It was delicious and huge! For dinner the program stipulated 'wandaful slaw', but since that was the one recipe I really didn't like from the 21-day program I made a huge fruit salad for dinner instead. Boy, was that fruit salad amazing! I really needed all that energy and hydration after a big day! I wasn't at all envious of the wedding guests - I felt as though I had the best meal of the night. The one problem was that I didn't bring enough snack foods for between meals. As a result I was really hungry when I started the hour-long drive home, so on impulse I raced through McDonald's drive-through and bought fries. I'm not often a customer of McDonald's but they were the only food-selling place open at 11pm! And the fries were amazing. Warm and comforting and filled the hole in my stomach beautifully. So I don't regret them at all. Neither do I want to repeat my fry-buying, however, so I'll bring more food to next weekend's wedding!

Today's food has been great. A smoothie for breakfast! The best way to start the day! Lunch was a raw substitute for stir-fry and it was wonderful. I discovered about a year ago how eonderful raw leeks are in a salad, and I was glad to re-discover them in this recipe. Dinner was meant to be raw ice-cream (yeeha!) but I don't have a working freezer so I couldn't freeze the fruit for the recipe. Instead I snacked on fruit, nuts and dates for a really satisfying beautiful dinner.

I've discovered today that cheese is my go-to food when I am really tired. Cheese??!! I didn't eat cheese for a really long time, until my most recent pregnancy. Then I had strong cravings for it and one day I ate a bit that was left over from my son. I mean, it was just going in the bin, right? What's the difference if I eat it then? Well, the seal was broken and tiny morsels found their way in more often. First my son's leftovers, then a sliver of my own, then huge hunks. I haven't really wanted it recently but today I wanted it sooooo badly and I've eaten a couple of slices. Even brazil nuts didn't stop the cheese craving. I'm a bit disappointed, since I did;t even really enjoy the cheese when I ate it, and I'm sure I'll pay the price tomorrow by feeling unwell. However, I feel great about what I ate at the wedding and the fact that I drank a lot more water than I usually do at work - 2 litres plus what I drank at home before and after work. Prior to this diet I would have had dinner at the wedding, a fancy restaurant meal, and probably  piece of wedding cake. My clients yesterday also had a self-serve lolly bar as bomboniere, which in the past I would have sampled. So I'm still doing a lot better than I used to! As long as I keep improving I am a happy girl.

I didn;t do any formal exercise either yesterday or todday. Yesterday's wedding was exercise enough - I didn't sit down once and was on the move the whole time, carrying a heavy camera bag and a step ladder, and wielding kilos of camera as though ti was a feather! Today, as I said, I feel smashed, almost hung-over in a sense, and my whole being is crying out for rest. I'll do some yoga tonight, and then tomorrow get back ont he bike and back into the normal swing of things.

Yesterday's happiness exercise is to list 'why' I want to be raw. I've done this before during the 21-dap program, but I can;t exactly remember what I wrote. Some other reasons are:
To inspire my kids to be brave enough to do what's right for them, even if it isn't 'normal'.
To become more in tune with what my body needs.
To discover great new recipes.
To reduce my impact upon the environment.
To wow people with my great health and wellbeing and wow them again when I explain how it has come about! i.e. to let my inner celebrity shine! To show off! ;-)

Today's happiness exercise is a game called 'keeping the seal on'. I'm playing it in a real, physical way. With the deep cleansing week beginning tomorrow I am committed to doing it properly, to the letter - no cheating. I want to see how it works when done properly! So I'm putting a piece of paper in an envelope and sealing it. If I cheat I will open the envelope and write what I want to eat on the envelope. The instructions point out that the longer that envelope stays sealed, the prouder  will be, and I am already excited to think of doing something so great! Overcoming my desires and looking towards a greater benefit for me. It's a great mind-trick - it makes me look forward to the deep cleansing week even more as my competitive side can come out to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment