Monday 30 January 2012

Day 8

A beautiful day and the first day of the deep cleansing week. An appropriate day in which to take steps towards a 'Garden Diet-like' change of circumstances! We are in the process of buying a block of land on which to build an eco-friendly house, and as many fruit trees as we can, and a huge vegie garden, and a beehive. It's very exciting and the block feels like a place where we could happily live for years and years. I've never had the desire to 'put down roots' before this, but all of a sudden I'd love to have a base to call home that really feels like 'us'. Fingers crossed that all goes well!

Today was a fruit-only day - my favourite day of the whole program! I love fruit so much, and if I had to choose one food group to eat to the exclusion of all others, fruit would be it. I actually started the day without a lot of fruit in the house, and it wasn't until late afternoon that I was able to buy more. Not a problem though - instead of planned meals I just ate a piece of fruit whenever I was hungry, and now I feel light as a feather, full of a warm and happy glow.

I haven't done any formal exercise yet today, but I plan to ride my bike on the home trainer tonight when the kids have settled down. It's really hot and humid at the moment so I hope it cools down as night falls! I feel full of energy so I'm looking forward to the ride.

Today's happiness exercise is to spend time thinking and then write about that thinking time. I spent time thinking about the miraculous things that have happened since I began the raw diet. One thing is that my Mum has started eating raw foods and is losing weight and feeling fabulous. Until now she has been completely against the raw diet (anthough she's always eaten ltos fo fresh raw food), and very concerned about my experiments with it. She's also read the China Study and has gone from being vocally concerned about my veganism to becoming an almost-vegan herself! (She plans, at this stage, to treat herself to a small piece of cheese very occasionally). That's a huge change and I'm thrilled to see her looking so healthy and sounding so happy. She looks a million years younger already! Another miracle is that I've lost the love-hate relationship I had with food. For a long time I've had this angel/devil thing going, where I'd eat really well one minute, then, in a sad, furtive, frantic way, stuff myself with junk food the next. I felt controlled by my cravings and de-powered by my actions. Now I feel calm, in control, and much more relaxed. This, in turn, has made me more confident, playful, easygoing and spontaneous. My husband is a happy man!

I'd never have imagined what a positive difference this diet could make in my life. I think the biggest thing has been 'don't beat yourself up'. After all, slip-ups notwithstanding I'm still losing weight, becoming healthier and feeling better and better. I'm so glad to leave behind the cycle of determination and guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment